Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "The Surprise of Their Lives"
This post is based on C.J. Mahaney's sermon, The Surprise of Their Lives, given on April 16, 2017.
As two disciples gloomily walked the road to Emmaus three days after the crucifixion, they had no idea that they were in for the surprise of their lives. They were soon greeted by a man they didn’t think they knew asking why they were so dejected. They were amazed at his seeming lack of knowledge of the events of the week. Little did they know that this man, who seemed to be the most ignorant person in Jerusalem in regards to the events of the week, was actually the only one who truly understood them – it was Jesus Himself!
Read Luke 24:13-35
One of the most remarkable things about Jesus’ interaction with the disciples walking to Emmaus is that He doesn’t immediately, and miraculously, reveal who He is. Instead He walks them through the Scriptures, from Genesis to Malachi showing these men all they taught about Him.
- Why is it significant for us today that Jesus drew attention to the Scriptures rather than His physical presence with them?
- What passages from the Old Testament do you think Jesus discussed with them?
- Looking back on this Bible study of all Bible studies, the disciples described their hearts as “burning within them.” Why do you think they experienced this as they listened to Jesus teach the Scriptures?
- Has there ever been a time when your heart burned within you as you studied the Bible? Describe the circumstances.
Jesus does eventually reveal Himself to these disciples. After He taught them the Scriptures, He broke bread with them and their eyes were opened. It’s easy to imagine the seconds of stunned silence as the disciples tried to wrap their minds around what had just happened, then absolute pandemonium and waves of joy and wild celebration followed.
- In this Easter season, do you experience this same type of joy over the resurrection of Christ? Why or why not?
- In the Easter season and beyond, what tends to rob you of that joy?
- What are the truths and implications of the resurrection that should stir joy in your heart?
[post written by Rich Humphrey]
More in From your Pastors
January 21, 2021Sermon Overview & Prayer: "The View from the Hilltop of Time"
January 20, 2021Sermon Quotes: "The View from the Hilltop of Time"
January 13, 2021Sermon Overview & Prayer: "Passing Years, Abiding Hope"