Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "The Divisive Person"
This post is based on CJ Mahaney's sermon, The Divisive Person, given on April 22, 2018.
Can you think of a time when your parents warned you not to do something? What did they warn you not to do and why did they warn you not to do it? Parents are not the only ones who give warnings; if you look closely on items in our house, you will see that many things have warning labels on them. These warning labels are meant to get our attention, provide instruction and keep us safe. Here are some examples of real warning labels*:
- WARNING label on a carpenter’s drill – “THIS PRODUCT NOT INTENDED FOR USE AS A DENTAL DRILL”
- WARNING label on a bottle of dog medication – “MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS… USE CARE WHEN OPERATING A CAR”
- WARNING label on Razor scooter – “WARNING: THIS PRODUCT MOVES WHEN USED”
- WARNING label on a hair dryer – “DO NOT USE WHILE SLEEPING”
While these might appear obvious (hopefully they are), the reality is that there are times when we all need to be warned. Our text this week has a specific warning in it that should command our attention and instruct our actions with the goal to protect Jesus’ Church! So, let’s read Titus 3.8-11 together and see who is to be warned and why!
Read: As a family, read Titus 3.8-11.
- How does Paul describe the person that needs to be warned (9-11)?
- Titus was to warn these foolish people so that they would repent and the Church would be protected!Have you ever thought about how good it is to be corrected for being foolish?
- What do you think would happen to the Church if Titus didn’t follow Paul’s instruction to warn these argumentative people?
Pray: Pray for our church family; that the pastors and members would be courageous and faithful in fighting for unity.
*warnings compiled from Reader’s Digest article: https://www.rd.com/funny-stuff/funny-warning-labels/
[Post by Jason Briggs]