Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "Meet the Author"
This post is based on CJ Mahaney's sermon, Meet the Author, given on Februrary 5, 2017.
As we prepare to be ministered to by the apostle Peter, CJ began our series by introducing us to the author of the book. Getting to know the author peaks our interest and whets our appetite for what God is going to teach us through his words. Let’s spend a few moments considering the life of this shepherd who was personally trained by the Great Shepherd.
Read John 1:35-42
During Jesus’ very first encounter with Simon, Jesus changed his name to Peter, which is based on the Greek word for “rock.” Peter would indeed become a rock on which Jesus’ church was built, but in order to get Peter to this point a great transformation would have to take place.
- From what you know of Peter, what was he like? What type of person was he? (If you need help with the answer, read Matthew 14:23-33, Matthew 17:1-8, Matthew 16:13-23, Matthew 26:30-35).
Read Matthew 26:69-75 2.
How did Peter feel after he betrayed Jesus?
- How do you think God used this betrayal to transform Peter?
- What things has God placed in your life that are transforming you to be more like Jesus?
- How does Peter’s experience affect the way you view difficult circumstances or experiences in your life?
Read John 21:15-19
How do you think Peter felt after this interaction with Jesus?
- How did God use Jesus’ restoration of Peter to transform Peter?
- What do we learn about Jesus from this event?
- Does knowing the difficulties and transformation Peter went through make you more excited about studying 1 Peter? Why?
[post written by Rich Humphrey]
More in From your Pastors
September 15, 2021Sermon Overview & Prayer: "The Throne And The One Seated On It"
September 14, 2021Sermon Quotes: "The Throne And The One Seated On It"
September 8, 2021Sermon Overview & Prayer: "Hot and Cold and...Not What You Think"