Sermon Overview & Discussion Questions: "The Aftermath"
OVERVIEW OF THE SERMON:
In Acts 2:42-47, we see the Holy Spirit’s work in creating a community in the church it created in the previous verses. These marks of the early church make up its daily life as the people that God saved now create a community. Devotion to five distinctives mark this church: apostolic teaching, fellowship, the breaking of bread, prayer, and evangelism. This devotion both inspires and instructs the church today that salvation always sets us into a community.
- Read verses 41 and 42. What do these verses show us about the Spirit’s work and result of conversion?
- The early church’s devotion was inspired by the One who loved the church and gave himself up for her (Ephesians 5). How do you see devotion to the church in your life or in the lives of those in our church?
- God both saves us and sets us into a community. What is one of the five marks the Lord has used in our church to work in your life recently?
- The description of the early church in this section is for our admiration and emulation. Which of the five marks do you want the Lord to grow you in devotion?
- CJ reminded us that there is no such thing as churchless Christianity. How does the example of the early church’s evangelism inform your understanding or practice as you engage unbelievers?
More in From your Pastors
January 31, 2023Sermon Quotes: "A Masterclass in Evangelism"
January 25, 2023Sermon Quotes: "A Gospel That Divides"
January 25, 2023Sermon Overview & Discussion Questions: "A Gospel That Divides"