Sermon Overview & Discussion Questions: "A Gospel That Divides"
The gospel continues to spread to the nations in Acts 14, but not without opposition. Paul and Barnabas arrived in Iconium and began to teach about ‘the word of [God’s] grace’ in the local synagogue. Many Jews and Greeks believed what they heard and began to experience transformation! Many others rejected this teaching and not only denied what they heard, but even went so far as to provoke hostility towards Paul and Barnabas. Luke records this incident to inform and prepare us that the gospel transforms, and it also divides. Despite this assault on the gospel and these apostles, the apostles move on to even further destinations to preach this unstoppable gospel.
- Do you remember how you first responded to the gospel? How does that affect you as you reflect on hearing the gospel right now?
- In what ways are you tempted to shrink back from sharing the whole gospel?
- What divisive aspects of the gospel are you tempted to soften in your evangelism?
- How does the grace of God towards sinners inform your hope when you are discouraged?
- Is there someone who is particularly heavy on your heart because they are rejecting the gospel? How has God made his grace evident in your conversations with them?
More in From your Pastors
March 28, 2023Sermon Overview & Discussion Questions: "Our Prowling Adversary"
March 27, 2023Sermon Quotes: "Three Unexpected Converts"
March 27, 2023Sermon Quotes: "Our Prowling Adversary"