Holy Week Resources
In the busy-ness of the events, changes, and trials of quarantine life, it could be easy to let Easter sneak up on us without much thought, preparation, or meditation. Despite its centrality, we can sometimes treat it as an afterthought or just another Sunday. However, the events we remember during the Easter season are of pre-eminent importance for the Christian (I Corinthians 15:3). As we meditate and celebrate this coming week, we join a community of saints around the world and throughout the ages who have been saved and radically transformed by the death and resurrection of Jesus.
The resources you'll find below are here to serve you as you seek to glory in our great Redeemer both this week and always. This content is specifically designed to help us all intentionally journey through Holy Week and to worship our crucified and risen King Jesus.
Gospel Accounts of Holy Week.
- The most important way to prepare for Easter is through reading and meditating on Scripture. This chart lists the events of Jesus’ final week along with the gospel texts that record them.
Devotional materials on the cross.
- Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter (ed. Nancy Guthrie). This book contains a number of short, rich reflections on Christ’s sacrifice for us from theologians and pastors throughout church history.
- Love to the Uttermost (John Piper). In this e-book, Dr. Piper provides a devotion for each day of Holy Week.
- This collection of important essays by J.I. Packer and Mark Dever give careful theological reflection on the atonement. It also contains an invaluable bibliography of books on the cross, compiled by Ligon Duncan.
- This 23 minute recording by Rick Gamache, senior pastor of Sovereign Grace Church in Bloomington, MN, provides a powerful, imaginative narrative of Jesus’ final hour.
- Among the many good evangelistic resources available, this little book by John Piper is both a rich exploration of the cross for believers, and a very useful evangelistic tool to give to non-Christians, especially around Easter.
Songs on the life and death of Jesus.
- Bob compiled this playlist of songs to help us relfect on the cross and it's meaning for us.
More in From your Pastors
September 22, 2020Sermon Quotes: "The Depths of Sin and Salvation"
September 22, 2020Sermon Overview + Prayer: "The Depths of Sin and Salvation"
September 16, 2020Sermon Quotes: "The Past Comes Alive"