Holy Week Resources | 2022
Holy Week has arrived! But in the midst of the business of daily life, it could be easy to let Easter sneak up on us without much thought, preparation, or meditation. Despite its centrality, we can sometimes treat it as an afterthought or just another Sunday. However, the events we remember during the Easter season are of pre-eminent importance for the Christian (I Corinthians 15:3). As we meditate and celebrate this coming week, we join a community of saints around the world and throughout the ages who have been saved and radically transformed by the death and resurrection of Jesus.
The resources you'll find below are here to serve you as you seek to glory in our great Redeemer both this week and always. This content is specifically designed to help us all intentionally journey through Holy Week and to worship our crucified and risen King Jesus.
Gospel Accounts of Holy Week.
- The most important way to prepare for Easter is through reading and meditating on Scripture. This chart lists the events of Jesus’ final week along with the gospel texts that record them.
- If you’d like to study the events of Holy Week in more detail, The Final Days of Jesus, by Andreas J. Köstenberger and Justin Taylor, provides a detailed and devotional account of that helps you walk through Jesus’ final week from Palm Sunday through Easter Sunday.
Devotional materials on the cross.
- Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter (ed. Nancy Guthrie). This book contains a number of short, rich reflections on Christ’s sacrifice for us from theologians and pastors throughout church history.
Paul David Tripp provides a brief, accessible 40 day devotional for the season leading up to Easter Sunday entitled Journey to the Cross.
If you own J. I. Packer’s Knowing God, then you have in your hands a wealth of devotional material. Check out chapter 18: “The Heart of the Gospel” for a wonderful exposition of what happened on the cross.
- Love to the Uttermost (John Piper). In this e-book, Dr. Piper provides a devotion for each day of Holy Week.
- We’d recommend everyone have on their reading list books that give detailed treatment on what Jesus accomplished on the cross. Two in particular top our list: John Stott’s classic work The Cross of Christ, and the lesser-known but equally profound Christ Crucified: Understanding the Atonement, by Donald Macleod.
- This collection of important essays by J.I. Packer and Mark Dever give careful theological reflection on the atonement. It also contains an invaluable bibliography of books on the cross, compiled by Ligon Duncan.
- This 23 minute recording by Rick Gamache, senior pastor of Sovereign Grace Church in Bloomington, MN, provides a powerful, imaginative narrative of Jesus’ final hour.
- Among the many good evangelistic resources available, this little book by John Piper is both a rich exploration of the cross for believers, and a very useful evangelistic tool to give to non-Christians, especially around Easter.
Songs on the life and death of Jesus.
- Bob compiled this playlist of songs to help us reflect on the cross and its meaning for us.
More in From your Pastors
May 19, 2022Sermon Overview & Discussion Questions: "The Divine Exchange Rate"
May 17, 2022Sermon Quotes: "The Divine Exchange Rate"
May 12, 2022Sermon Overview & Discussion Questions: "The Aftermath"