Faithfulness in a Fractured World | Sermons & Resources
In addition to C.J.’s recent sermon series, Faithfulness in a Fractured World, below are resources that the pastors of SGCL commend to you.
- Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian (John Piper)
- Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race (J. Daniel Hays)
Mission of the Church
- What is the Mission of the Church? (Kevin DeYoung & Greg Gilbert)
This book provides clarity on how the church is to view its mission in the world.
- Loving the Way Jesus Loves (Phil Ryken)
The highest call for Christians, in this or any other moment, is to love. This book is an inspiring, provoking reflection on Christian love as exhibited in 1 Corinthians 13.
- “Critical Theory and Christainity” (Free-Thinking Ministries -- Shenvi & Sawyer)
This article introduces the discipline of “critical race theory” (CRT) and how it informs so much of our culture’s views on identity, race, sexuality, etc.
- “Is Critical Race Theory Christian?” (Owen Strachan)
This four part series provides a more detailed treatment and critique of critical race theory.
- “Cultural Marxism” (Themelios - Rob Smith)
This article succinctly traces the genealogy of CRT (esp examining “cultural Marxism,”) and at the end also offers some wise comments for Christians.
- “Intersectionality and the Church” (Tabletalk -- Rosaria Butterfield)
Discernment for our Current Moment
- “A Compassionate, Counter-Cultural, Christian Response” (Kevin Huang)
- “George Floyd and the Gospel” (Just Thinking podcast -- Darrell Harrison and Virgil "Omaha" Walker)
- “Notes from the Revolution“ (Reformation 21 Site -- Brad Green)
- Ethnic Gnosticism (Voddie Baucham)
- "Black, Reformed, but Foremost Christian" (Anthony Carter)
- “The Privileged and the Oppressed” (Insights Report)
- “Seeing the World in Black and White” (Desiring God -- Greg Morse)
- “Not White Fragility -- Mutual Responsibility” (TGC -- George Yancey)
- "The Dehumanizing Condescension of White Fragility" (The Atlantic -- John McWhorter)
This post, written by an African American scholar, critiques a book that has gained much popularity in our culture, and even among some evangelicals.
- “Life Together in the Church” (The Gospel Coalition -- Kevin DeYoung)
More in From your Pastors
September 22, 2021Sermon Overview & Prayer: "From OZ to Awe"
September 21, 2021Sermon Quotes: "From Oz to Awe"
September 15, 2021Sermon Overview & Prayer: "The Throne And The One Seated On It"