Faithfulness in a Fractured World
In addition to C.J.’s recent sermon series, Faithfulness in a Fractured World, below are resources that the pastors of SGCL commend to you.
- Bloodlines: Race, Cross, and the Christian (John Piper)
- Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race (J. Daniel Hays)
- The Problem With Ending Racism (Greg Morse)
- The Doctrines of Race: A Call to Make Christ Central (David Mathis)
- Evangelicals and Race Theory (Carl R. Trueman)
Mission of the Church
- What is the Mission of the Church? (Kevin DeYoung & Greg Gilbert)
- This book provides clarity on how the church is to view its mission in the world.
- “Critical Theory and Christianity” (Free-Thinking Ministries -- Shenvi & Sawyer)
- This article introduces the discipline of “critical race theory” (CRT) and how it informs so much of our culture’s views on identity, race, sexuality, etc.
- “Is Critical Race Theory Christian?” (Owen Strachan)
- This four part series provides a more detailed treatment and critique of critical race theory.
- “Cultural Marxism” (Themelios - Rob Smith)
- This article succinctly traces the genealogy of CRT (especially examining “cultural Marxism,”) and at the end also offers some wise comments for Christians.
- “Intersectionality and the Church” (Tabletalk -- Rosaria Butterfield)
- “Critical Race Theory, Part Two” (Desiring God -- John Piper)
- "What the Bible Teaches about Ethnic Harmony" (Midwestern Journal -- Andy Naselli)
Discernment for our Current Moment
- “A Compassionate, Counter-Cultural, Christian Response” (Kevin Huang)
This thoughtful article provides a Biblical, balanced perspective on many of the events of the past month.
- “George Floyd and the Gospel” (Just Thinking podcast)
- “Notes from the Revolution“ (Reformation 21 Site -- Brad Green)
- Ethnic Gnosticism (Voddie Baucham)
- Faithfulness in a Fractured World Sermon Series (C.J. Mahaney)
- “The Privileged and the Oppressed” (Insights Report)
- “Seeing the World in Black and White” (Desiring God -- Greg Morse)
- “Not White Fragility -- Mutual Responsibility” (TGC -- George Yancey)
- “The Dehumanizing Condescension of White Fragility” (The Atlantic – John McWhorter)
This post, written by an African American scholar, critiques a book that has gained much popularity in our culture, and even among some evangelicals.
- “Life Together in the Church” (The Gospel Coalition -- Kevin DeYoung)
- “Practice Hospitality, Especially during COVID-19” (Crossway – Rosaria Butterfield)
- “Black Lives Matter?” (Just Thinking podcast)
- Thinking Theologically About Racial Tensions: Sin and Guilt (The Gospel Coalition – Kevin DeYoung)
- Christianity & Wokeness (Owen Strachan)