Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "Something Strange and Wonderful"
This post is based on CJ Mahaney's sermon, Something Strange and Wonderful, given on March 12, 2017.
Having just celebrated the magnificent saving work performed on our behalf by God Himself, Peter now transitions. Verse 13 begins with a “therefore.” In light of the unthinkable magnitude of all that God has done, this is how we, as His children, should respond. Specifically, God’s mercy and His holiness should drive in our hearts a trio of responses: hope, holiness, and fear.
Read 1 Peter 1:3-5
In verse 13 we are called to set our hope fully on the future grace that will be given to us at Christ’s return.
- Why is it sometimes challenging to put our full hope in Christ?
- In what things other than Christ do you tend to place your hope?
- What would the life of someone with his or her hope placed fully on Christ look like?
- What are some steps our family could take this week to focus more of our hope on Christ and His return?
Just as God our Father is holy, so we are called to be holy. (v. 15)
- If we are saved by God’s grace, why should the pursuit of holiness and obedience characterize our lives?
- How does God work in your life to bring about holiness?
Finally, we are to respond to the Gospel with fear.
- What does it mean to fear God?
- If God is our Father, why should we “conduct ourselves with fear”?
- Do you have an appropriate fear of God in your life? Why or why not?
In verse 20 Peter tells us, “He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you.” Christ, His shed blood, and all promises are not simply theological truths. They are for you.
- Why is it important to personalize the truths of the Gospel?
- How do you benefit when you remember that all Christ did was for you?
[post written by Rich Humphrey]
More in From your Pastors
November 17, 2017New Member Testimony | Reid Williamson
November 16, 2017Thursday Thoughts for Parents | "Singing In Sorrow"
November 10, 2017Sermon quotes: "The Joyful Journey"